This is a recipe that I posted a couple of years ago, but I thought I would re-post it, so you can all start getting ahead of the big feast without searching through my archives.
I know Christmas is still weeks away, and I also know that December can fly by faster than Superman on his way to meet Lois Lane when we are busy. It is for this reason that I have decided to get ahead of the Christmas dinner game and prepare my Cranberry Relish now. It only takes ten minutes to make, so I probably could have made it on the day, but why would I want to do that when I could be relaxing with kids?
This recipe will keep well in the fridge for a couple of weeks, but I have chosen not to take any chances. I am making it now and freezing it. Then I can just pop it out a few days in advance (I will be setting a reminder on my phone so I don’t forget) and it will be ready to go with my turkey dinner on the big day.
Carmelised Cranberry Relish
Skill level: Easy
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- Knob of butter
- 1 large orange
- Thumb sized piece of ginger, finely sliced into matchsticks
- 100g/4oz caster sugar
- 500g/1lb cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- splash of Port (optional)
- Use a zester to zest the orange, or use a speed peeler to peel off the zest then finely shred it with a knife and set aside with the ginger.
- Halve and juice the orange. Tip the orange juice into a shallow saucepan and boil gently with the sugar until you get a light amber-orange caramel.
- Scatter the zest and ginger into the caramel, cook for 1 minute, then tip in the cranberries and port if using. Cook everything on a high heat for 5 minutes until the cranberries are starting to split but still have texture. Leave to cool and serve with the turkey.
This recipe will keep for a few weeks in the refrigerator, or can be frozen for up to a month.
- Spiced Cranberry Relish (paleoinpdx.com)
- Paula’s Recipes: Cranberry Relish (wncx.cbslocal.com)
- Fresh Cranberry Relish for your Thanksgiving Feast! (fork-lore.com)
- Autumn Recipes: Cranberry Relish (youfoodisnotsogreat.wordpress.com)