The United Kingdom and other parts of Europe have been rocked by a horse meat scandal, which is bad news for us carnivores who love beef. For chicken farmers though, it is like an early Christmas present because sales of chicken have soared since the scandal broke. The bad news of course is too our taste buds, because let’s be honest, chicken can be so boring. If however, you spend a few minutes and add a few tasty ingredients you can make your chicken sing, and what a better way to turn your boring chicken breast into something tasty than this easy and cheap Chicken Cacciatore recipe.
Skill level: easy
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped rosemary leaves
- 4 chicken breasts
- small handful basil leaves
- Fry the onions and garlic in the olive oil until softened. Add the tomatoes, rosemary and season to taste. Cook for 10-15 minutes until thickened.
- Heat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Top the chicken with chicken with the sauce, then bake for 20 minutes until cooked through. Serve scattered with basil leaves with some of your favourite seasonal vegetables or rice.
- Chicken Cacciatore for all you Crock-Potters (citymama.com)
- Classico Chicken Cacciatore (mommyhatescooking.com)
- January 11 – Quick Chicken Cacciatore – Recipe (abigslice.typepad.com)
- Valentine’s Day Dinner Ideas (mommyhatescooking.com)