Since my copy of Gordon Ramsay’s Ultimate Cookery Course dropped through my letterbox I have been busily cooking my way through the book, and this recipe so far ranks near the best of them. Not only is it delicious, but it was also dead easy to make.
Gordon’s Spicy Sausage Rice
Spicy sausages, peppers, paprika and rice combine to make this easy midweek meal from Gordon
- Olive oil, for frying
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 5 spiced sausages, e.g. Italian chilli
- 1 heaped tsp smoked paprika
- 200g long-grain rice
- ½ glass white wine
- 500ml chicken stock
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- Small bunch of flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Add a glug of oil to a heavy-based casserole dish and fry the onion for 5 minutes until soft but not coloured. Add the pepper and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Slit the sausage skins and crumble the sausage meat into the pan, then cook over a medium heat for 4–5 minutes until coloured. Add the smoked paprika and mix. Season to taste.
- Add the rice and stir well to mix thoroughly and absorb the flavour. Deglaze the pan by pouring in the white wine and scraping any bits stuck to the bottom. Add the stock and bring to a simmer. Cook gently for 15–20 minutes until the rice is tender and the liquid almost entirely absorbed.
- Remove from the heat, gently fold in the spring onions, tomato and parsley and serve.
- Sausage, Peppers and Onions (spoonful.com)
- Spicy Sausage Rice (allaboutchantelle.wordpress.com)
- Italian Sausage W/Peppers & Onion (dishingitoutwithclarissa.com)