British Apples are at their best at the moment, and this recipe takes my favourite fruit and transforms it into something spectacular; a moist, flavour-packed, wonderfully scented cake that will transform even the most urban of kitchens to the country-side.
Country Apple Cake
Preparation time: 20-30 minutes
Baking time: 45-50 minutes
- 5 medium eggs
- 200 g/7 oz granulated sugar
- 100 ml/3½ fl oz vegetable oil
- 175 g/6 oz plain flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- ½ ground ginger
- 5 eating apples, peeled cored and diced
- 1 tsp each, icing sugar and cinnamon; for dusting
- Heat the oven to 180°C/GM 4, and line a loose bottom, 23 cm baking tin with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl beat together the eggs and sugar until thick and pale (approx 5 minutes).
- Pour in the oil and combine well.
- Sieve in the flour and dry ingredients and fold through until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Add the apples and fold through.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Leave to cool slightly before tuning the cake out. Leave to cool on a cooling rack.
- Once cooled dust with the icing sugar and cinnamon.
- Apple Cake with Walnuts & Raisins (faestwistandtango.wordpress.com)
- German Apple & Pear Cake Recipe (thecreativemummy.wordpress.com)
- Apple Spice Cake (freelearningmama.typepad.com)
- Caramel Apple Cake (bangordailynews.com)
- Classic Cake’s Jewish Apple Cake Recipe (philadelphia.cbslocal.com)