A well made lemon cake is one of the nicest things a person can bake. So imagine my joy at this delicious recipe which takes the humble lemon sponge to another level all together by adding a layer of lemon curd before topping the whole masterpiece off with a sweet lemony glaze. It is truly the king of all lemon cake recipes, perfect for bringing a bit of sunshine even on a dreary English spring day.
Sadly though, having diabetes means I have to limit myself to a slice about as thick as a piece of paper, but if you are going to treat yourself, you might as well do it in style.
Triple Lemon Cake
Preparation time: 30 mins
Baking time: 35 mins
For the cake
- 1 lemon, zest only, grated
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 175g/6oz self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 175g/6oz butter, at room temperature
- 175g/6oz caster sugar
- 3 eggs
For the lemon curd
- 1 large juicy lemon, grated zest and juice only
- 75g/3oz caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 50g/2oz unsalted butter
For the icing
- 1 large lemon, zest only
- 50g/2oz icing sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/GM3
- Measure all the cake ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat until you have a smooth, creamy consistency.
- Divide the mixture evenly between two greased and lined tins. Bake in the centre of the oven for 35 minutes or until the centre feels springy when lightly touched.
- While the cakes are cooking make the lemon curd by placing the sugar and grated lemon zest in a bowl. Then whisk the lemon juice and eggs together and pour them over the sugar. Add the butter, cut into small cubes, and place the bowl over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir frequently until thickened (about 20 mins).
- When the cakes are cooked, remove them from the oven and after about a minute, turn them onto a rack to cool.
When cooled, spread the curd thickly to sandwich the cakes together.
- Make the icing by removing the zest from the lemon, then sift the icing sugar into a bowl and gradually stir in the lemon juice until you have a runny consistency.
- Allow the icing to stand for 5 minutes before icing the cake. Add the lemon zest to the top of the cake and allow to firm up for an hour before serving.