Asparagus is back in season here in the UK, so I imagine there may be a few recipes zinging your way in the next few weeks that include those wonderous green stalks… And what a better way to begin than with a simple pasta dish that is not only delicious but also cheap and easy to make.
Creamy Pasta with Asparagus and Peas
This recipe was adapted from a recipe in the March issue of BBC Good Food. I made it more diabetic friendly by using extra-low fat cream cheese with garlic and chives instead of the full fat variety.
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
- 250g/9oz pasta (any shape will do)
- 300g/11oz asparagus spears, cut into lengths and woody ends removed
- 175g/6oz frozen peas
- zest and juice of half a lemon
- 100g/4oz soft cheese with chives
- Cook the pasta following the instructions on the pack. Two minutes before the end of the cooking time add the asparagus and peas.
- Before draining the pasta take a small cup of the cooking liquid from the pot.
- Return the pasta and veg to the pot and add the lemon zest, soft cheese and seasoning. Add a squeeze of lemon juice to taste and stir in 2-3 tbsp of the cooking liquid to loosen the sauce.