I grew up in Canada and last weekend was the Victoria Day long weekend, which is traditionally the start of summer over there. This weekend in the USA (another country I have had the honour of living in) it is Memorial Day weekend, which is the start of their summer. And here in the UK it is a long weekend, though sadly the day has no importance or meaning, like most public holidays here, but the May Bank Holiday (as it is known) is normally the start of summer… Summer in the UK is only a name, we don’t always get the weather to match, but I am living in hope.
Anyhow, to celebrate summer, I have decided to dedicate all of my blogging from now until the end of August to the two joys of summer eating; Picnics, and Barbeques!
Super Easy Tuna Pasta Salad.
I love this dish because it is so easy to make, and so simple to adapt it to include whatever you like, be it an olive, some cherry tomatoes or even a bit of chilli.
Preparation time: less than 10 minutes.
Cooking time: 10-12 minutes.
- 1 tin of tuna
- 250g/ 1-1½ cups of pasta shapes. (I used penne, but any shape will do)
- 2 stalks of celery (optional)
- 2 peppers (I used red and yellow, but try any kind you like)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp of good quality mayonnaise
- Cook the pasta according to the instruction on the packet.
- While the pasta is cooking, drain the tuna, and finely chop the peppers and celery.
- When the pasta is cooked al dente (to the point where it has a little bite to it, before it becomes soft and mushy) drain the water and rinse under cold water.
- When the pasta is cooled, add the olive oil and toss the pasta around to finely coat it.
- Add the rest of your ingredients and toss until it is well mixed and the pasta is coated with the mayonnaise.
- Picnic Salads & Beyond: 15 Recipes for Memorial Day Recipe Roundup (thekitchn.com)
- Light Summer Fare (theblogofahappyhousewife.wordpress.com)