The British asparagus season is short, which is sad because English asparagus is arguably the best in the world. Lucky for you than that you came by the blog at the right time, because I am currently cooking asparagus weekly to get my fill of this delicious vegetable which will probably be gone (in fresh form at least) by the middle or end of June.
So as fast as my little fingers can dance on the keys, I will bring you some of my favourite asparagus recipes to try before this glorious vegetable is gone for another year.
Penne with Asparagus and Parma Ham
This is a fantastic, super easy and very quick recipe which is also very tasty. The salty ham and the sweet asparagus make for a filling and quick meal that can easily be thrown together as a mid-week treat… And since it is pasta your kids might even be tricked into eating some of these lovely spears which are packed with goodness.
Preparation time: less than 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Skill Level: easy
- 16 spears of asparagus
- 400 g penne pasta
- knob of butter
- 8 slices of parma ham, roughly cut into strips
- 3 tbs crème fraiche
- black pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, for serving
- Cook your penne according to the instructions on the packet
- Meanwhile, steam the asparagus, cut each spear into three and toss in a little butter
- When the pasta is cooked, drain it and return to the pan
- Add the asparagus, parma ham, crème fraiche and black pepper to the pan and toss well
- Serve in warm bowls with a sprinkling of Parmesan on top of each serving