I love pasta!
I love the fact pasta comes in a variety of shapes. I love the taste and texture of pasta. I love the simplicity of pasta. I love that most kids love pasta. I love that pasta is quick and easy to make. I love that pasta is so adaptable.
I love everything about pasta… it is the most perfect fast food in the world!
So the next time you are looking for a fast meal to fix for the kids or yourself, you could do a lot worse than a nice bowl of pasta. And I bet you could cook a delicious, nutritious bowl of pasta faster than you could have a pizza delivered.
Rigatoni with bacon, tomato and chilli
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Skill level: beginner
- 200g rigatoni (but any shape will do)
- 3 slices of back bacon, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 anchovy, chopped (optional)
- 1 heaped tsp capers, drained and chopped
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 pinches of sugar
- pepper and salt
- Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water.*
- Fry the bacon until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to a bowl and set aside. Add the onion to the bacon pan and fry over a moderate heat for 4-5 minutes until softened.
- Add the chilli and garlic and stir for a minute before pouring in the tomatoes and adding the anchovy, capers, balsamic, sugar and a good grinding of pepper and some salt. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, until reduced by about a third. Taste for seasoning, then drain the pasta and stir into the sauce.
* TIP: always add salt to the water when cooking pasta. I’m not sure of the science, but without salt in the water your pasta will become a tasteless pile of mush.