What is it about Rice Pudding that makes it so good? After all it is only rice cooked in milk and sugar, but since I was a child this easy dish has always ranked as one of my favourite desserts. Yet until recently I have never tried making it; for some reason I thought it was a complicated dish to make, now that I have given it a try though, I don’t think I will ever open a tin again!
A bit of advanced warning before you rush off to make this delicious dish though; it does take quite awhile to bake in the oven, so this is a dish probably best made on the weekends or while waiting in for a delivery, or just on a lazy afternoon when you have a couple of hours to waste.
Skill level: easy
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 2 hours
- 25 g/1 oz butter
- 110 g/4½ oz pudding rice
- 400 g / 14 oz tin evaporated milk
- 500 ml/18 fl oz whole milk
- 40 g/1½ oz granulated sugar
- ground cinnamon or nutmeg (add to flavour)
- Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F/ Gas Mark 2
- Grease an ovenproof dish with the butter.
- Put rice, evaporated milk, whole milk, and sugar into the dish and stir well.
- Sprinkle cinnamon or nutmeg over the pudding to taste.
- Place into the oven. After 30 minutes give it a good stir. After a further 30 minutes stir again. Leave to bake for an hour.