Yesterday, I tried something I have never done before; I attempted to make a dish without a recipe or cookbook. I just purchased what I thought was us to make a simple accompaniment to go with some chicken enchiladas I had planned for dinner. So using just my limited food knowledge, and my taste buds I produced what ultimately was some delicious guacamole.
Guacamole with a hint of Red Chilli
Skill level: beginner
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: none
Special Equipment: a food processor
- 2 avocados
- half a red chilli
- half a bunch of coriander
- small clove of garlic, crushed
- a glug of olive oil
- juice of one lime
- juice of half a small lemon
- Halve the avocados and scoop the flesh out from the skin and toss into the food processor.
- Cut the coriander bunch in half and add stalks and all to the food processor.
- Using a garlic crusher add the garlic followed by the chilli, olive oil and the juice of the lime and lemon.
- Blend the ingredients until smooth.
Top tip for making Guacamole.
The flesh of an avocados quickly turn brown when exposed to the air, so when making guacamole it is important to use some citrus fruit which will slow the process considerably. It is also a good idea to make this accompaniment very close to the time of serving because no matter how nice it may taste, nobody wants to eat guacamole that resembles re-fried beans.