One of the first dishes I ever learned to make was my Mom’s Macaroni and Cheese, which is a perfect dish for a cold wet winter’s day here in England. It is filling, easy to make, and the kids love it!
Also, you can make it in advance while the little tykes are at school and just re-heat it when you are ready to eat!
Mom’s Macaroni & Cheese
Skill level: beginner
Preparation time: less than 30 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- 200 g (6½ oz) macaroni
- 60 g (2 oz) butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- ¼ cup (30 g/10 oz) plain flour
- 2 ½ cups (600 ml/20 fl oz) milk
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups (185 g/6 oz) grated Cheese
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F/gas 4) and grease a 1.5 litre ovenproof dish.
- Cook the macaroni in rapidly boiling water until tender (8-10 mins) and then drain and set aside.
- Heat the butter in a large pan and add the onion and bacon. Stir over a medium heat for 4 minutes or until soft.
- Add the flour and stir over a low heat for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and gradually add the milk until the mixture is smooth.
- Return to a medium heat and cook, stirring for minutes, or until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Simmer over a low heat for one minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the nutmeg, and season to taste. (You probably won’t need to add any salt as the bacon will contain enough).
- Add the mixture, the pasta and two-thirds of the cheese to your oven proof dish. Stir, then sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20 mins or until lightly golden.